Wednesday, September 10, 2025

Entrance Slip (September 11th)

    One big idea that I took time to reflect on was the importance of openmindedness as a teacher. Extending from what was mentioned by Grant and Zeichner, I believe being openminded gets harder and harder as we age, learn, and experience more things in life. We may hold a view that what we know and learned is correct, and makes it difficult to say or think “maybe I need to be flexible to adapt to the new trends and information” and admit that we are narrowing our views. Growing older can bring you to a higher position within a system of power relations. However, no matter where we are and who we become, it’s important to keep an openminded approach to things we learn from the younger generation, adapt to new environments, and recognize what we can do to become such a person (and teacher). 


    This article helped me develop the foundation of understanding the importance of reflective practices to grow and learn as a teacher. We will be facing countless issues and frustrations, but if we can incorporate reflective teaching into our teaching style (or best to say our “learning” style as teachers), I think I can develop a positive classroom atmosphere where student learning is valued. I am going to be learning as a teacher candidate and soon as a new teacher, and I learned that I must carefully consider many things happening inside and outside the classroom to become the best teacher I aim to be.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Yuki! As someone much older, I can say that open mindedness will keep you young, flexible and interested in life. When I see colleagues who have closed their minds, they become crotchety curmudgeons very quickly at any age.

    ReplyDelete